CHOICES and DECISIONS
In a world of “I want it YESTERDAY,” instant satisfaction, so many choices, so many different directions, so many options, so many opinions, it can be tough keeping up. Oh, yea, I forgot to mention, all those choices, answers, responses, people want those RIGHT NOW! Then when you factor in the research that says we make approximately 35,000 decisions a DAY. It is no wonder that society as a whole we are stressed out.
There are three areas of stress: Physical, Emotional, and Chemical. When we reach our tolerance level of stress, we normally react one of three ways: We BURN out, we BAIL out, or we BLOW up.
With that number of decisions, how important are the choices we are making every minute of every day to the QUALITY of life we are living?
In this blog, I will be using “CHOICES” and “DECISIONS” interchangeably.
Keep in mind, Behavior is the highest form of communication. So what is our behavior saying about us?
What exactly is a “CHOICE”?
Sounds like an easy enough question and answer, but is it? Are we really making decisions and choosing? Or are we just going with whatever, following the path of least resistance because it is easy? Are we just reacting instead of choosing? Are we NOT making a decision because we are so maxed out, plates are too full, too many things pulling us in too many directions, so we just say, I don’t care.
A lot to consider. Let me simplify this, there are only two ways we handle decisions:
We RESPOND OR WE REACT
Here are seven ways we create ineffective choices:
- Choice by limitation: choosing only what seems possible or reasonable
- Choice by indirectness: choosing the process instead of the result
- Choice by elimination: eliminating all other possibilities so that only one remains
- Choice by default: the choice not to make a choice so that whatever results happen seem to occur without choice – all that is left again
- Conditional choice: imposing preconditions on choices
- Choice by reaction: choices designed to overcome a conflict
- Choice by consensus: choosing by finding out what everyone is willing to recommend and following the results of that poll.
CHOICES AND DECISIONS become clearer when you raise your CONSCIOUSNESS
Until the next time. My warmest wishes